Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Amazing Harrington Race

One of my friends was telling me about a tv show called The Amazing Race (that I've never actually seen), where they get to the airport and just have to figure out at the last minute how to get somewhere the fastest. It sounded amazingly similar to our method of flying (since dad works at an airline, cheap standby flying) so I'll call this post The Amazing Harrington Race.

3:00 am Wed - wake up after 4 hours of sleep
4:30 am Wed - arrive at airport, somehow carry 11 bags
6:00 am Wed - got on the flight to Chicago! Couldn't sit together, but gave dad a chance to nap anyway.
8:30 am Wed - sit in Chicago airport (with no wifi!) for 9 hours. Thank goodness for the employee lounge! We watched movies, played video games and cards, ate snacks, and ate at Macaroni Grille.

5:30 pm Wed - check in at the gate for Paris, France flight. 4 seats left!  There is only one seat in Business class though - quick, in 2 seconds or less figure out who gets it! Dad very gallantly let me have it, and they both sat back in coach. I was completely spoiled beyond belief, and they were scrunched in the back of the plane next to a screaming baby...with no blankets or earplugs because they were in my bag. :(   I got a fully reclining (flat, like a real bed) seat with a blanket and pillow provided, bose noise cancelling earphones with a Samsung Galaxy Note to watch movies on for free, with a little overnight bag with earplugs, toiletries, socks, and an eye mask, bottle of water....and full meal service with champaigne and wine, appetizers and snacks. The flight was 8 hours long, leaving at 5:30 pm and arriving at 9:30 am Paris time. Too bad none of us really slept, as I felt so guilty about the boys being back in coach I couldn't sleep, along with my very own screaming baby two rows back.

9:30 am Thurs - arrive in the airport...wondering what to do for about 35 minutes.  No internet or phone service now, and we can't really read French!  Um....let's try to find a flight to Budapest, or a train...or maybe a hotel.  Fun, 11 bags to drag around!
12:30 pm Thurs - finally end up in a hotel (more of a "pod" really) with free wifi! We look up flight options and can get to Budapest on Saturday. The kid is uber excited that he gets a mini bunk bed...that I hit my head on at least 16 times.

7:00 pm Thurs - wake up from a 6! hour nap. Wow, I didn't know we were THAT tired!
Tomorrow: Darn, we'll have to spend a day in Paris.

1 comment:

  1. Check out Sacre Coeur! The crepes at the bottom of the hill are awesome. At least one of you should get the nutella crepe :)

    - Kim Cord

    ReplyDelete