Sunday, June 30, 2013

Thanks, Google!

I love our smart phones, and our laptop. This trip would have not been so fun if we hadn't had them with us. Google, I love you. 

We've used Google Hangouts to do 'free' video calls with some of our friends, and our parents....which allowed Princess to meet her grandparents for the first time, and for them to see her face. Invaluable! Monkey got to see his friends he's been missing so much, and of course spend about 2 minutes doing nothing but making faces at eachother...which, when you sit around with nothing to do for 3 weeks, is actually entertaining. Thanks Google!

Google Translate is like a blessing and a curse. Remember when Daddy said to the deli lady "You are a turkey or a ham"...gee, thanks Google. And I translated "Have you ever been on an airplane?" and Rita told me that was like asking my little girl if she'd ever committed suicide by being strapped to the front of an aircraft? Thanks Google.  We've figured out that you can only translate one or two word phrases for it to be accurate, so we speak in one word sentences. Makes us look really sophisti-ma-cated. Thanks, Google.

Cool things you can do with Google Translate
1. speak a word in Magyar, and it will "speak" the word in English
2. write a word with your finger on the screen, and it will turn it into text and translate it
3. take a picture of Magyar writing, and it will translate the whole thing

#3 is how I read the packaging on food when I need the instructions. Cool, huh?
This was a package of what looked like rice. It "translated" the instructions, however, this is what it told me: 
"Granules Mego vegetables every flavor that cooking is so lends the M Condiments released perfect flavor to dishes and soups (1 liter Ajanljukelsosorban, 1 water, 1 tablespoon of approximately 10g GGllzvarazs) as well as vegetable dishes and side dishes, meats, vegetables izestesere is also suitable. The etelizesto appropriate containing a proportion of salt, but salt after tasting the food separately.

Huh? Would you be able to prepare the package from that?? What the heck is Ajanljukelsosorban? Apparently even Google doesn't know. Whatever I did, I didn't end up with rice, or anything that looked remotely like the front of the package...it was like broth with green stuff floating on top and it smelled icky so I just threw it out. Thanks for nuthin, Google. 

But hey, it is really good for one word at a time, and the pronunciation is fantastic...and that really does help when you want to quickly find the word for "time" and "bed". Thanks, Google!  

4 comments:

  1. Google translate is awesome - for one to two word phrases :) It doesn't work with Spanish either. Believe me. HA! Anyway, so excited to hear her little voice and give her a big hug - and let her laugh at me try to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! "Thanks for nuthin, Google" -- priceless! Keep the stories coming!

    Not too much longer and you will be home!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried translating with Google, but what I'm guessing is causing problems is that the sentence structures are quite different. Google may be trying to impose English structure to the Maygmar (sorry, I'm sure that's wrong) structure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was literally LOL when I read this post!

    ReplyDelete